Orientation and Other Features

What should I improve to make you happy?

Orientation and Other Features

Postby Geodarts » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:11 pm

I just started using the Pro version since Geosphere is no longer supported under iOS 11. There are four things in particular that I miss or else have not figured out how to do.

Orientation: On my iPad, the app defaults to landscape and zip cannot find a way to change it back to portrait, even when my iOS orientation is supposedly locked. I really don't like working in landscape mode.

New "cache:" When traveling I often rely on Geospheres ability to manually add a new cache or waypoint - or edit cache information. This made it easy to add places we wanted to visit where there may be no caches. For example, I set up petroglyph sites and standing stones as megaevents so I could have everything on one app, making trip planning and navigation easy. I could also edit the cache description and hint to include useful information (the cache note feature provides a workaround however). The only waypoints I can find tonadd here are those associated with an existing cache.

Internal Ignore: There are many caches I want to ignore from within an app, allowing me to access it at a future point on the fly should I so desire
Geodarts

Re: Orientation and Other Features

Postby Geodarts » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Perhaps the biggest thing would be to automatically import cache graphics when importing a gpx file. I often focus my searches on earthcaches and virtuals, which often require cache graphics. When I have imported a pocket query the graphics do not display unless I am connected online. This is a problem since I am often outside of cell reception. I thought the download images options in settings allowed for this, but apparently do not.

An offline world basemap that is displayed along with the selected vector map would be a great feature as well. For instance we are traveling to South Africa, Swaziland and other countries. If I select South Africa, the rest of Africa is not shown and Swaziland is a blank spot on the map.
Geodarts

Re: Orientation and Other Features

Postby ElectroSmogTherapy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Geodarts wrote:Perhaps the biggest thing would be to automatically import cache graphics when importing a gpx file. I often focus my searches on earthcaches and virtuals, which often require cache graphics. When I have imported a pocket query the graphics do not display unless I am connected online. This is a problem since I am often outside of cell reception. I thought the download images options in settings allowed for this, but apparently do not.

Here you touch one of the biggest issues with L4C (which is a really great app in most other features).
Ok, there is no automatic update after an import of a pocket query - but this can be done manually.
BUT: you won't be happy with that if you're doing earth caches!!

Unfortunately, L4C only loads pictures hosted on GC.com! All pictures hosted elsewhere (and most of them are hosted elsewhere) WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE OFFLINE!!

The only workaround I know is that you have to make screenshots of the listing and the pictures as long as you are online :-((((

Geodarts wrote:An offline world basemap that is displayed along with the selected vector map would be a great feature as well. For instance we are traveling to South Africa, Swaziland and other countries. If I select South Africa, the rest of Africa is not shown and Swaziland is a blank spot on the map.

I had the same issues with eSwatini and Lesotho ;-)
But this is a nice to have only - switching offline map while you are at the boarder post is not too much effort.
ElectroSmogTherapy

Return to Suggestions and feature requests