Offline logging, geocache_visits and import of GPX-files

What should I improve to make you happy?

Offline logging, geocache_visits and import of GPX-files

Postby thomfre » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:05 am

Today I use iGeoKnife to do logging when I'm on a caching trip. When I get home I load geocache_visits.txt from iGeoKnife into GSAK on my computer, and then add trackables and pictures in GSAKs publish log feature, before uploading everything from there.

iGeoKnife has worked good for this, however, the app rarely gets any updates, and the interface of Looking4Cache is way better!
But since my main reason for using iGeoKnife is the possibility to write the complete log and then import it to GSAK, it's still more useful for me than Looking4Cache.
That's why I would like to request that you add the possibility to generate logs to a geocache_visits.txt file instead of uploading it directly to geocaching.com.

The last thing that's better in iGeoKnife is the function for importing GPX-files, I can just send a file in a mail to myself, and then open the file in iGeoKnife by simply clicking on it in the mail client.
I don't use iTunes, so file transfer through iTunes is kind of unusable for me...

Other than that, I really like what you've done so far, this app has big potential!
I really hope you're able to implement my requests, if you need help to do beta testing, don't hesitate to contact me! (cache (at) thomfre (dot) net)
thomfre

Re: Offline logging, geocache_visits and import of GPX-files

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 am

Hi,

in the next version (1.1) I will add the ability to store fieldnotes offline. At the moment there are only the functions "Submit Log" and "Submit Fieldnote". In 1.1 you can save Fieldnotes and Logs offline and access them from the new area "User Profile". This is for writing the logs after caching and then upload them.

In this area I can also add a function "Save geocache_visits.txt"..

Transfer gpx files from mail or dropbox and such is already on my todo list.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby thomfre » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:31 am

Sounds good! Thanks!
thomfre

Postby GeoAgenten » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Thorsten,

cool, dass es demnächst die Möglichkeit geben wird, die Funde erstmal nur lokal zu speichern und dann später die Logs zu schreiben und abzusenden. Diese Funktion hat mir bei unserem Ulm-Cachetag am meisten gefehlt ;-)

Viele Grüße

Till
GeoAgenten

Return to Suggestions and feature requests