Small, but important, additions

What should I improve to make you happy?

Small, but important, additions

Postby JordanHackworth » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:49 pm

First off, thanks for building such a great app, you really got it right for a 1.0 release. There are a few small additions I'd like to see made.

The map needs to follow your current location and also automatically zoom to show both your current location and the target cache.

The list, when sorted by distance, needs to update in real time, as you move.

Instead of the list showing the GCV, should show the results of the last few logs, so you can quickly see if there's a row of did not find's and the cache might not be worth attempting. This could be a user selectable option.

It would be helpful, but not mandatory, if the map could rotate to face whichever direction the device is pointing.

The rest of my criticisms have to do with minor polish, spelling errors, low res buttons and the like.

I'm also an app developer so if you're looking for a beta tester or someone to help implement new features, I'd be happy to help you build L4C into something really great.

As an aside, if you haven't used the app Geosphere, please try it out and see if you find any inspiration. It's the best competition L4C has.

- Jordan Hackworth
JordanHackworth

Re: Small, but important, additions

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Jordan,

welcome and thanks for your suggestions and for the offer to help. You are the first english speaker in this forum.

The map needs to follow your current location and also automatically zoom to show both your current location and the target cache.
Following the current location is already possible. Just tap the 'center to current location' button for m more than 0.3 seconds. A arrow will apear, showing that the 'Follow Mode' is activated.

Some more zoom and positioning functions I will add in following versions. They are already on my todo list. I have the plan to add customizeable action bars to the borders of the map screen, fillable with functions like zoom +/-, zoom to whole cache, flashlight and so on.

The list, when sorted by distance, needs to update in real time, as you move.
The current build looks most for power saving (to not getting a bad reputation as a battery killer). So sort by distance only uses the gps, the distance calculation and the sort mecanism only when fresh sorted from the dialog. I can add third distance sort based on the current location that refreshs periodic. Configureable how often to refresh (like 5 -> 60 seconds).

Instead of the list showing the GCV, should show the results of the last few logs, so you can quickly see if there's a row of did not find's and the cache might not be worth attempting. This could be a user selectable option.
I get also the request to show the last log icons on the cache detail page. So I can also make it configureable for the cache list.

It would be helpful, but not mandatory, if the map could rotate to face whichever direction the device is pointing.
It is on my list and planed for future versions. Using the Apple MapKit functions to rotate (like other apps do) I don´t want to use, because this overrides the gps and gyroskope settings. This causes high cpu usage.. So I will search for a own way, that is compatible with my gps profiles and also the OSM maps I use.

Having a beta tester outside Germany would be nice. I contact you for this when version 1.1 (including travelbugs) is ready for test.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby pgamble » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi guys

Just purchased today and I would like to add that I'd also I've the option to have direction up. I do love the way the compass goes green when you're going in the right direction but having the map scroll the way you are going with direction upwards makes it far more intuitive.

Cheers

Paul
pgamble

Postby Thorsten » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Paul,

this feature is also on top of my todo list and will be added with version 1.2 or 1.3.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby pgamble » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Excellent ... look forward to it.
pgamble

Return to Suggestions and feature requests