Logs - different types and storage?

Here you get support in english

Logs - different types and storage?

Postby lyallpearce » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am

A few questions from a newbie on an iPhone 4s

When creating logs for a cache, I note that there is a save local only as well as different type log types.

If I write a "note", as opposed to a 'Found' or 'Not Found' or 'Needs Maintenance', but don't save locally (ie, upload), will others be able to read my note?

Basically, I would like to know if I can make private notes that will upload to groundspeak.com but not be visible to others? Assuming I can, can I update the log at groundspeak.com, using the web browser, and have it appear in the app?

Can I only associate more than one image with a cache and locally only?

Could a future enhancement be that if I double tap the image in my log entry that it expands to full screen or is zoomable? I tend to use it to take pics of clues in multi-part caches and review the clues later but find that having to go to the camera app to view the image, which is annoying.

Having fun using the app :)

...Lyall
lyallpearce

Re: Logs - different types and storage?

Postby Thorsten » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi,

sorry for the late answer!

If I write a "note", as opposed to a 'Found' or 'Not Found' or 'Needs Maintenance', but don't save locally (ie, upload), will others be able to read my note?
Basically, I would like to know if I can make private notes that will upload to groundspeak.com but not be visible to others? Assuming I can, can I update the log at groundspeak.com, using the web browser, and have it appear in the app?

You can upload the log as "fieldnote", then other users can´t see it. You can found uploaded fieldnotes on geocaching.com under "Your Profile / Fieldnotes". Normaly this is used if you wan´t to compose the log text at home on the pc.

Can I only associate more than one image with a cache and locally only?
At the moment not, because the API only accepts one image per log while creating a log. But I wan´t to extend the "Own Logs" section to enable users to upload other images to existing logs.

Could a future enhancement be that if I double tap the image in my log entry that it expands to full screen or is zoomable? I tend to use it to take pics of clues in multi-part caches and review the clues later but find that having to go to the camera app to view the image, which is annoying.
One of the next following features will be own notices for caches. There I can add also the possiblity to take images.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby lyallpearce » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:26 am

Is there a wiki for l4c where I can learn to use the app properly?

With regards to my previous questions. I assume that if I select 'Field Note' down the bottom of the notes page, it is my own private note which is saved to GroundSpeak. Great.

If I turn 'Save log only local', I don't understand the difference between that and turning GroundSpeak on/off.

For example. On the Map (iPhone)

The Icon on the top left has 4 different appearances.
I assume
  • red circle with a slash is GPS Turned off (fairly obvious)
  • GPS with a Yellow circle is GPS On - full time? Maximum battery drain?
  • GPS with a Green circle with a padlock - ?
  • GPS with a Yellow circle with a padlock - ?

Also, whilst on the map, I occasionally find I have difficulty, with my fat fingers, tapping a cache icon to bring up the target/folder/'forward arrow' icon.

By the way, what is that 'forward arrow icon' for? It changes the map, showing my target and current location icons on the right, using google maps, but I dont understand what that advantage is, over normal map mode.

A suggestion that I would dearly love to see included is the ability to read the Cache 'Info' in the top half of the iPhone, whilst being able to make notes in the bottom half. For example, when I am trying to do a puzzle or multi-cache, the questions are in the cache info but in order to record the answers to the questions in my Private Logs, I have to switch back to the logs, then go back to the info to read more on the questions. Or, maybe a 'swap from/to create log' icon somewhere. I tend not to use pencil and paper, but this one aspect of L4C is about to make me carry around a notebook!

Regarding learning how to use L4C, I came in brand new to Geocaching and found L4C. I must admit, it has taken me a while to get to my current level of understanding but I think the initial learning curve is a little steep, given the lack of 'beginners guide'. For me, it was tap and try to figure out what was going on!

Still, great app, keep up the good work!

...Lyall
lyallpearce

Postby Thorsten » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 am

Hi,

first, there is a old school manual as pdf available and some tutorial videos. The videos are a little bit outdated (they base on the first beta of L4C). You can find them in the app (config -> help) and on this page: http://www.looking4cache.com/manual

If I turn 'Save log only local', I don't understand the difference between that and turning GroundSpeak on/off.
Fieldnote: Send the log as a fieldnote and edit them online on geocaching.com
Save only local: The log will be saved in the database and can be edited later. The local saved logs are in the User Profiles (main screen cache list -> person icon -> username -> Local logs). This is when you only want to remember that you found the cache with some words (maybe drop or get a TB) and write the complete log later after caching. This also will be interesting as soon as I implement iCloud Sync between iPhone and iPad..
Turn 'User@Groundspeak' on / off: L4C supports multiple users and with this you can set if you want to create a log for this user. For example I added my wife's account to my iPhone. If she is caching with me I just turn on by her user to create a log for she too.

The Icon on the top left has 4 different appearances.
It´s a battery saver, because the gps drains the battery if its on heights accurateness.
Red circle: GPS is off, will only be activated if needed (like If you tap the 'my location' icon).
Yellow: Low accuracy, automatically set by L4C because your target is farer than 100 meters.
Green: High accuracy, because you are close to the target.
Yellow with padlock: Low accuracy, manually set by yourself.
Green with padlock: High accuracy, manually set by yourself.

Also, whilst on the map, I occasionally find I have difficulty, with my fat fingers, tapping a cache icon to bring up the target/folder/'forward arrow' icon.
In V1.4 I will add the possibility for users to drop action items on the screen and to customize the existing icons. Then you can drop a icon like "Open current target" directly to the screen.
I added a todo for me the check if it is possible to expand the clickable area around the map pins.

By the way, what is that 'forward arrow icon' for?
As in iOS 6 the Google Maps was replaced by Apple Maps a lot of people wan´t the old satellite images back. So I added a build in browser in L4C and the possibility to create bookmarks. On of these bookmarks can be used on this icon on the map tooltip. It is pre filled with a google maps page hosted on my server.
Since I added the "Google Maps Satellite Overlay" in Version 1.2.1 it´s outdated. But with changing the bookmark url (in the config) it can be also used for other purposes (like if a user wan´t to view the cache on other maps like mappy.cz..).

..make notes..
This is a feature I wan´t to add since version 1.. In the last version I changed the info message technology in the app (maybe you see it, the black boxes with animations). The new technology I created has the possibility to add a moveable and resizable dialog which can be displayed on all views of the app.
This I will use for personal notes. So it can be on the screen when reading the cache info or the hints and also while you type in the coordinates..

beginners guide
I agree! On Version 1.4 my main topic will be user interface and user friendly.. There I wan´t to add these things for a better start with L4C:
  • A wizard to create the geocaching.com user on the first start of the app.
  • A small InApp tutorial showing the basics.
  • A InApp Help System: Clicking on the Help Icon and a tooltip for all elements on the current screen will be shown.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby lyallpearce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 am

Thankyou for your detailed reply.

That was great.

If you plan on doing more work in the manual, maybe a 'sample find session' wouldn't go astray, describing the steps that a user goes through to find, make notes and log a cache, using the features of the app. You know, press the search icon, enable GPS, setting the target, finding the vicinity, recording a field note, creating a waypoint, finding the cache, writing up a log entry and saving it. That sort of thing.

Anyway, now I have read the manual, and I don't know why I didn't find that before, I think in the first day or so I was overwhelmed by all the terms.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

...Lyall
lyallpearce

Return to Support in english