How to open gpx file in l4f from geocaching.com ?

Here you get support in english

How to open gpx file in l4f from geocaching.com ?

Postby b13s » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 pm

If I click on the gpx file link on the geocaching.com on the iphone 4s I get few choices - but l4f is not one of them - is there a way to open that link ? I can do that in geosphere app for example, but not l4c.
b13s

Re: How to open gpx file in l4f from geocaching.com ?

Postby Thorsten » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi,

there is a difference between L4C Free and Pro:

• If you use the free version, the function 'Open in' is missing in the free version. It´s one of the short list on differences between the pro and free version.
  • If you use the pro version, there is a bug on 'Open in' with gpx files directly. Zip files will work on each device, gpx files will work not on all devices. This bug I already fixed on the dev version and will be published with 1.2.1.

That means that in the pro version for pocket queries you should use the 'Compress a zip file' option on the end of the site. Using the 'Download gpx file' directly in the cache listing I would not advice (also when my bug is fixed), because gpx files does not contain waypoints without coords and there are no informations about images attached to the cache within the gpx file. In the case downloading only one cache I would advice to use the search function in L4C using the 'Cache Code' tab.

If you are using the pro version and you try to open a zip-compressed-gpx-file, but this does not work, please contact again to find the bug.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby b13s » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:11 pm

I use Pro version. And I'm looking for option to open just one cache from the safari in the l4c - I can do that with geosphere, but not with l4c :/ It would be the easiest way to open cache from the notification email - now if you click on the link in the email you get web page with choice to open cache either in the geocaching.com app or the website. I usually open website, then click on the GPX file link and open in geosphere, but I would like to have the same functionality with l4c. Of course I can use search - but this means copy/pasting - and it just add additional steps.
b13s

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:12 pm

I just tested it with the current dev build. With the ".gpx file Open in" bugfix I can tap on "GPX file" on a single cache and import it to L4C.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby b13s » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 pm

how long will it take till dev build will be released ?
b13s

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 pm

I plan on start of february..
Thorsten
Site Admin

Return to Support in english