Synching between iPhone to iPad on same account

Here you get support in english

Synching between iPhone to iPad on same account

Postby Prestongeocache » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:02 am

I have the free version of the app on my iPad and my iPhone. I only have one account and although it will work on either device, it won't transfer/sync downloaded caches between devices. There is no problem with updating my logs. This means that any time I download my free allowance of 3 caches on my iPad then head out with my iPhone, I can't check the details for those caches and can't reload them.

Is there a way to get these two devices to share the data that I've downloaded? It seems a bit odd considering they are using the same account.

I hope I've made that clear (though probably not).

Thanks.
Prestongeocache

Re: Synching between iPhone to iPad on same account

Postby Thorsten » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi,

on your issue there is no difference between the pro and the free version of my app. The limit of three caches comes from geocaching.com and depends on your basic membership. This limit is counted directly in the API of geocaching.com per account, so for the app it is not possible to get more caches.

A planned feature for the future is adding iCloud sync in L4C. With this function the database between both devices will sync with each other. This means that if you download the full details of a cache on the iPad the full details will appear also in your phone. Before I add iCloud sync there are some other tasks on my list, so I think this feature will be available in early 2013.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby Prestongeocache » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks.
Prestongeocache

Postby lyallpearce » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:22 am

It would be nice if this server side storage was an open source project that I could host own copy of, rather than relying on third party 'cloud'.

Maybe a plugin/app for OwnCloud (https://owncloud.org/) or simply uploading/downloading files to OwnCloud?

...Lyall
lyallpearce

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

I will use iCloud Sync for this feature. It´s because iCloud Database sync does not sync the database file complete, instead it only send transaction logs to keep the database in sync.

If I would use other Cloud Services (also like Dropbox) I can only move the complete database file from one device to another (and this with a lot of coding). If I use iCloud Sync I just have to enable it and do some slightly programming tasks. So only the changes on the database will be replicated.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby Sternenfeuer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 am

I use my own "iCloud" to synchronize my iPad and my iPhone ... i do all the work before we are going to a tour on the iPad (new Kategorys with the planned Caches, updates from the PocketQuerys aso.) and after all is fine, i copy the "database.sqlite" file with iTunes from the iPad and replace the database.sqlite from the iPhone with this .... works fine ... takes only 2 Minutes ...
Sternenfeuer

Postby Ange Heureux » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:00 pm

@Sternenfeuer : Thanks a lot. I'm using your trick and it's great. I've prepared 31 lists for holiday with iCaching, transfered them through iTunes on my iPhone, updated/refreshed each list in L4C, and then i've used your trick by copying the 3 database.sqlite* from the iPhone to to iPad, and in 20 seconds i had all my lists ready on my iPad.
Thank you again !
Ange
Ange Heureux

Postby DaSteph42 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:59 am

Hi,
Very interesting tip, how does one concretely?
DaSteph42

Postby PlasmaWave » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 am

I was really happy to read the database could be transferred from one Apple device to another, so tried the above method - now cannot run L4C on the iPad Mini !! I am using L4C Pro.

This is what I did:

"Saved" the iPhone7 'database.sqlite' to a PC using iTunes ... swapped devices and connected my iPad Mini to iTunes ... clicked "Add" file, pointed it to the saved database, selected "replace file" and it appeared to uploaded successfully.

Now the iPad Mini will NOT run L4C at all ... it appears to start L4C ok, but the screen returns to Apple "Home" without displaying L4C. If I double press the "Home" button to see running apps, I can see L4C and whatever its last screen was showing but cannot open the app (select it and screen returns to Apple's "Home").

Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Above issue was resolved after reading another posting - realised there are three files associated with the database.

Saved all three files from the iPhone7 to the PC, then added them to the iPad Mini via iTunes - L4C on the iPad Mini is now working fine and using the saved iPhone7 database

Thanks for this easy method of syncing the database, though it would be nice if this could be done directly via L4C
PlasmaWave

Postby PlasmaWave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:57 am

BEWARE ... do NOT install iTunes v12.7 - this 'new' version no longer supports 'Apps' therefore copying L4C database files directly between devices would no longer be possible via iTunes.

I found out the hard way after being nagged by iTunes to update to 12.7, then couldn't access iPhone/iPad "App" files.

SOLUTION ... fortunately under pressure from business partners, Apple have released iTunes v12.6.3, which in practice is equivalent to the version prior to fateful 12.7 - I installed this 'special' version and all is well again with 'L4C'!!

Here is the link to Apple's 'explanation' and v12.6.3 downloads:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

Apple's webpage says:

Install apps with iTunes

If you've already installed a newer version of iTunes, you can download this version of iTunes on your Mac, PC 32-bit or PC 64-bit* and run the installer. After installation is complete, you can continue to deploy apps with iTunes.
You won’t be prompted to download new versions of iTunes after you install this version. Manually update to the latest version of iTunes when you're ready to upgrade.
PlasmaWave

Return to Support in english