MOBAC map creation

Here you get support in english

MOBAC map creation

Postby pgamble » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi

quick question

I'm trying to download tile in the required format but with MapQuest ... it keeps failing after 100mg so saying abandon or restart from the beginning and Mapnik just won't allow the app to see some tiles from zoom 14 and at 16 and above all are blocked.

With UKMaps and MotionX I have zoom level 15 and 18 to allow me good visibility whilst caching. Am I doing something wrong ?

Paul.
pgamble

Re: MOBAC map creation

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi,

I think you did nothing wrong. MOBAC often has trouble because of the heavy tile usage and get blocked by the tile providers.

If it´s also ok for you to use other sources, try the Mapnik or Cloudmade. An other option is to use a self defined tile source with a xml file. I describe this in this thread: http://forum.looking4cache.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5075

I am currently include the other mapping framework I mention before. So in the next version I will also support the .mbtiles format created by the program TileMill. In TileMill you only download the raw OSM Data and it will be rendered on the local host. So there will be no problem with blocked tiles like in MOBAC.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Postby pgamble » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 pm

Thanks Thorsten

Might be nice at some point to add the direct to app download like exists in UKMaps and MotionX.

Cheers

Paul.
pgamble

Postby lyallpearce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:14 am

I recently created my own off-line map using MOBAC on my Linux system.

Not bad. :)

I successfully uploaded the same sqlite file (not gzipped) via iTunes to L4C and that worked well.

However, I tried uploading the sqlite file to my OwnCloud and it would not open in L4C when using the OwnCloud IOS app.

I tried gzipping the sqlite file but no go - I get asked if I want 'email' or 'copy' to open it. L4C is not suggested as an option.

I have successfully uploaded a GeoCache.com Pocket Query gzip file to OwnCloud and L4C successfully opens that, via the OwnCloud IOS app. I was wondering if there was a way I could transfer the MOBAC atlas in the same way, using OwnCloud, it would save me having to boot up windows to run iTunes!

...Lyall
lyallpearce

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 pm

At the moment I haven´t setup L4C to also receive .sqlite and .mbtiles files from other apps. This is the cause why L4C is not shown under "Open in..". I added a Todo for this to my list.

Best, Thorsten
Thorsten
Site Admin

Return to Support in english